Wednesday, April 4, 2012

CAR Literacy

Just for this blog I would like to veer away from the technology topic of my blog and focus on the common definition of literacy. As I stated in my previous blog literacy encompasses so much more than just reading, however reading is the most common word used to describe literacy. Therefore, it is impossible to ignore that reading is a huge part of what makes up the definition of literacy. In my opinion, reading is the most important skill taught in school. My justification is every other academic requires (some more than others) the skill of reading to learn the content of the subject. For that reason, reading is an instrumental skill in the future success of students and curriculums mandate that students should receive some form of reading instruction in every grade of public education. However, after the sixth grade, in the state of Alabama, direct reading instruction ceases to exist as a common core academic. Reading instruction is supplemented into the four common core academics of English, Math, Science, and History/Social Studies. Teachers of each core academic are directed by their superiors to insert a reading strategy into their academic lessons. The reading strategies are called content area reading strategies (CAR). These CAR strategies implemented within the four core academic subjects are the main reading instruction students receive from the seventh grade through high school. Since this is the main reading instruction students receive after sixth grade it is pertinent for students to receive CAR strategies molded into their instruction to bolster their reading ability throughout middle, high school, and beyond. For the rest of this blog I intend to present my favorite CAR strategy I use within my classroom to supplement literacy instruction.

My absolute favorite CAR strategy is the magic square because it allows students to teach his or herself the definition of a word through the use of Math. The magic square CAR strategy combines a reading vocabulary lesson with critical thinking problem solving skills. The purpose of the magic square is to find the magic number. The magic number is found by taking the vocabulary word, which is listed next to a letter (A., B. C. etc.), and matching it to the definition, which is listed next to a number (1., 2., 3., etc.). Below the listed vocabulary and definitions is a big box that has been sectioned into the total number of vocabulary words. In each sectioned box the letters associated with each corresponding vocabulary word is written in the top left corner of that box. The objective for the student is to place the number of the corresponding definition into the box with the matching letter of the vocabulary word it defines. After placing all numbers/definitions into their corresponding box/letter the student will add the numbers across and down in each column and row, and the sum should add up to the exact same number no matter which row or column is added up. Therefore, informing the student that they have found the magic number and defined their vocabulary words correctly. The magic square is just one of many CAR strategies out there to combine literacy instruction into content specific teaching. I highly recommend all teachers, but especially secondary teachers, learn as many CAR strategies as possible to implement into their instruction because this could be the only reading instruction students receive after sixth grade.  Below is an example of a magic square for anyone interested in learning this fabulous strategy.


Tell-Tale Heart Vocabulary

Directions: Select the best answer for each of the terms from the numbered definitions.  Put the number in the proper space in the magic square box.  If the totals of the numbers are the same both across and down, you have found the magic number!

A.  Hearken                                   1. Cleverly

B.  Conceived                               2. Reckless Courage

C.  Foresight                                 3. Thought of             

D.  Audacity                                 4. Pretending to be something one isn’t

E.   Hypocritical                            5. Care of preparation for the future

F.   Sagacity                                  6. Very thoughtful and wise

G.  Profound                                 7. Listen

H.  Vexed                                     8. Annoyed

I.    Cunningly                               9. Wisdom and judgment


A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I



What is the Magic Number?  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad,
    Have you ever heard the “ole” southern phrase…He/She is a book of knowledge? Well, every time I read your blog I learn something new. Your point of view as a teacher shines through and your concern for students’ learning is evident in every post. I find myself taking notes on your ideas each week.
    As a former first grade teacher, reading was woven throughout our day. It was an integral part of my lessons, so your post makes me value the early reading years even more. I appreciated your perspective on CAR and the great vocabulary magic square game. I am adding it to my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad...I agree with Beth's comment about your posts...you are so informative and knowledgeable about your blogs topics each week. I find myself wanting to read more and learn more about the interesting posts you make. I really liked your example of the Magic Number concept for literacy. Although we teach on completely different grade levels...I could definitely see myself adapting this game for my higher level Kindergarten students. CAR strategies are something that I have never utilized before, but will be researching them now that I see how they can benefit reading and literacy instruction.

    ReplyDelete